Sunday, September 7, 2014

California Missions - Performance Cheats

It recently came to my attention through a very confused conversation that not every child in every state was forced to build an exact replica of a mission in fourth grade. 
This should probably not have been as shocking to me as it was, since clearly it really doesn't matter to any other state what the California Missions system looks like. 
Yet, here in CA, 'The Mission Project' is so well known and such an institutionalized part of every school's curriculum that there are websites and blogs dedicated to giving tips to builders.
thefillmoregazette.com
 In fact, there are even entire brands at Michael's that make kits of each of the 21 missions so students can build them straight from that. 
www.lausd.k12.ca.us
 These brands also make grass/brick mats, tiny people and all their tiny benches and flowers and wells and pretty much just anything you would ever need to build any mission ever. 
just look at those in-scale, insta-hunter-ground-line flower hedges.
The mission project is basically the highlight of elementary school, like some rite of passage into mini-adulthood. I had a great time with it then, and even now it hasn't left my life. 

Unfortunately, I am not building replica's of missions today. I am however, as a mini tack maker and shower, incredibly thankful I can run down to the store and find these amazing, in scale props. 
I've grown up with these brands and baggies and giant kits taking up an isle of Michael's and pretty much any hobby store ever my whole life, and now I can finally really appreciate them. To realize that every one else in every other state doesn't have these is crazy for me to imagine.

Yes, this was basically a post about church-things and me getting nostalgic. The point is, I'm thankful as a shower that this silly brand is in my life, because it is more often than not their little add on props are perfectly in scale for stablemates. And just about everything is is either $1.99 or $2.99. 

I'm sure there are multiple on-line places to get these props for out-of-state-ers, and if you show minis I seriously suggest checking it out. You'll have to pay shipping and won't get the nostalgia that comes with being a California kid, but you'll get some super cool super cheap props that'll make any set up look nicer and go together easier. 




2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm definitely going to see if I can find some of these online as I've never seen them around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand is really great for getting just about any odd little thing you could need for mini performance!

      Delete