Thursday, February 26, 2015

Two for Two

While not a hugely impressive, as far as my commission history goes, I think it's a promising start to the new year! I've just shipped off my second commission in two months. 

What sticky wax?
Even though this one includes far fewer accessories, 

I was in the midst of some serious show prep while trying to get this done and shipped for it's new owner's show March 7th.

I'm getting happier and happier with my seats and flaps each time I make a new saddle!

I'm also a huge fan of the lacing on this pair of reins. 

Overall it was nice to put together. It was my first saddle/girth using that new sheepskin I bought, and I think we'll end up getting along just fine. 

I know I was supposed to have a show report from the Valentines Day show, but there ended up being no show at all! Anyone who follows me on Instagram will remember my whole flew-all-the-way-down-to-LA-only-to-find-out-the-show-was-moved-without-me-knowing fiasco. 
I was pretty upset sitting down there in the rental car lot, but hopped another flight home and quickly threw my attention into a few new projects for my show this weekend (which I am 100% sure is happening).
More on those projects a little later! And finally, a show report for real!

Sunday, February 15, 2015


There is little I love in the world more than completely color-coordinated sets. 
Needless to say, finally getting to put this set all together was more than satisfying.

It's really hard not to love things that match!

It's a pretty time intensive set just to tack up, but the end result is well worth it.

In addition to all the fun blue goodies, there was also a running martingale.

I absolutely cannot wait to see it all set up with you Kate! 
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Studio Update: February 9th

My past few weeks have been reaching the tipping point in my show frenzy, which will culminate tomorrow as I spend all day sorting halter horses and putting together a last minute saddle. This said, I've managed to get a lot done considering my lack of time. 

First up is the commission I decided to take on despite knowing I have two shows to prep for this month. 

The five point breastplate finally got finished, and the bell boots are currently in progress out of the picture. After that it's done and off to its new owner!

On the sidesaddle front, I put together the plain snaffle bridle for the dressage entry remarkably fast.

Nothing fancy, but super functional. I'm a little worried for the bridle change, but I should be able to manage it... somehow.

I also tacked up miss mule for the first time, which was so satisfying

She just looks so content to be doing what she's doing

and quickly made her whole get up one of my favorite sets ever!

Look at that cutie pie! I can't wait for her debut this weekend!

Speaking of which, her hunter jump had some flowers picked out,

got the final touches of paint, and ta-da!

There's more I might add for later shows (more green goodness) but I'm more than pleased with how it turned out for now!

Next up two of my four trail entries I needed to get done. In addition to putting off the documentation, I almost completely forgot about making all the poles.

That was fixed in record time, completing not one, but two trail sets in one day thanks to the motivation provided by Grace via Skype. 

First came the little mini whinnie from early January.

So. Cute. And. Tiny!!

I could barely control myself after I put this all together!

I'm actually weirdly excited to have this (very) little guy going in two classes this weekend, just for giggles. His entries will be complete with a magnifying glass for the judge. 

Back to my regular, more reasonable scale, where I decided to make an obstacle that had a whopping nine poles and seven flower pots. 

They were a pain to all paint and touch up, but I'm so happy with how it turned out!

Some nice iPhone flash
The struggle with this entry is two fold. First, it's not the easiest to set up because there's just so much going on, and because I have three other entries going in the combined english/western trail class on top of this monstrosity. Second, it takes up so much space, that I currently don't have a base big enough. I love using bases because they allow me to set up poles ahead of time away from the table, taking care of issue one, but I'm also worried that if I did get a base it would be too large for any size limits. 

My other picture frame which I use as a kinetic sand base was in an accident over the weekend that left the glass shattered and useless, so maybe I'll search for something bigger to replace it.  

All that said, my show prep is so close to done, I can just see the happily packed boxes around the corner. Expect lots of show photos and a nice show report once I'm back. 

Can't wait!